The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is partnering with Zhejiang University, as co-organizers of the Global AgriInno Challenge 2020 to harness innovation solutions in response to the challenges associated with ‘distribution and sales of agri-food products’.
According to FAO, the Global AgriInno Challenge 2020 is aimed at identifying, accelerating, and scaling-up youth-led innovative business models and digital solutions to unlock the potentials of agri-food innovation to address the challenges of distribution and sales of agri-food products.
The teams selected to attend the final competition in China will benefit from:
- 2-day professional development on around your team’s solution through an approach of co-creation with other young agripreneurs/innovators and experienced experts worldwide.
- All expenses for attending the final competition in China will be covered, including a) travel expenses: round-trip flight and/or train; local transportation fee (taxi/bus/subway); b) accommodation and meals; c) visa application fees as applicable for international participants.
- The access to open data sets from FAO and other partners.
- Advice from experienced experts from the UN, international organizations, the private sector and academia, and the chance to have a dialogue with high-level representatives from leading companies and organizations.
- The chance to meet top angel investors from venture capital funds and business leaders in the agri-food sector who may invest in your solutions.
- The chance to build your global network in smart agriculture with a multitude of stakeholders.
- The top winning teams will receive seed funding (the amount will be communicated at a later stage).
- The top winning teams will have the opportunity to join a one-week agro-Bootcamp and World Study Tour (training, travel, and accommodation covered) in 2021 to visit FAO and meet world-leading companies and organizations in the agri-food innovation sector.
To be eligible for the Global AgriInno Challenge 2020, you must be a youth with digital innovations or ideas for the agri-food sector. The selection criteria for the final competition in China are as follows:
The team has registered as a company or the project has been operational for 2-5 years.
The team needs to harness digital technology to solve a problem relating to agri-food product distribution and sales.
Teams with female agripreneurs are highly encouraged.
One leader of the group must be below 35 years old.
Each team should be composed of minimum 2 people, maximum 5 people to participate on-site (Ideally, the team should be composed of the following skillset: Human-centered design, Agri-food products distribution and sales, Agri-food business models development, Software programming/data engineering)
The feasibility and ability of technology to solve the problem of the distribution and sales of agri-food products must be presented.
The possibility of replication or scaling-up the business model must be demonstrated.
How to Apply
To apply, the leader of your team needs to fill the Application Form, with the Digital Development Solution (in PPT format) and a video, sending these to firstname.lastname@example.org and copying email@example.com
The documentation to be submitted should include (in English):
Application Form(you may scan QR code on time 8 or download through attachment to get the application form.
Digital Development Solution (PowerPoint of max 12 slides, up to 250 words per slide, Microsoft YaHei Font, font size not less than 16)
Summary of the solution (up to 250 words)
- Mission, vision, values of the project (the type of agriculture activity/sub-sector targeted)
- Problem identification
- Technical model
- Timing justification (Why is this moment the best time?)
- Business plan
- Financial situation (capital raised, capital needed, revenue analysis)
- Phased development planning
1-2 minutes long video explaining:
- Why should your team be selected? Answer this question in a 1-2 minutes long video. Upload the video online to a video sharing platform (YouTube, Google Cloud, Youku, Baidu Cloud, or other) and share the address of the link.
Please submit your team’s application before or by the application deadline 8th November 2020 (24:00 CEST).
For more information visit http://www.fao.org/e-agriculture/new-deadline-submissions-open-call-global-agriinno-challenge-0